Secular Connexion Séculière Action Plan – 2016
Immediate action: Legislative items that we can make progress on with determined lobbying of the government.
- Continue to advocate for legal physician assisted dying including both medically assisted suicide and euthanasia.
- Continue to pressure government to pressure Saudi Arabia for the release of Raif Badawi
- Advocate for suspension of Bangladesh from the Commonwealth of Nations.
- (near future) Send an e-petition to the House of Commons to remove section 296 from the Criminal Code of Canada. Please go to (e-petition link) and sign the petition. When it has 500+ signatures we can submit it to the House of Commons where it will be read into the record.
- (near future) Send an e-petition to the House of Commons asking for the repeal of Section 319 3b from the Criminal Code of Canada.
- Lobby the Canadian Revenue Agency for changes to the charities regulations to give humanist groups equal rights with religious groups; e.g., an automatic right to collect money for a building fund.
- Lobby all levels of government for removal of opening prayers from meetings (the Supreme Court has already declared the practice to be unconstitutional at the municipal level).
- Promote a non-religious, non-sexist, non-xenophobic “O Canada”
Future (constitutional) changes:
- Remove the theist preamble from the Charter of Rights and Freedoms
- Remove funding for religious schools in Ontario and elsewhere.
- Advocate for non-recognition of Prince Charles as the King of Canada when he succeeds to the throne unless he formally renounces any title as Head of the Church of England and Defender of the faith.